Tuesday, May 22, 2007

RIAA recent legal action against music downloading

It has recently come to my attention that since late February the RIAA has threatened more than 1600 university students in the United States with lawsuits accusing them of illegally downloading music.
Now I must say in this day and age where you can buy a song on iTunes for 99 cents and most albums for $10 I cannot see justification for stealing music. And furthermore, illegal downloading is stealing so who can justify that? Still, I'm not sure that the RIAA is handling the situation best. For one, rather than seeking out so many college students, perhaps they should look for a creative, new way to profit from young peoples in music consumption. This seems like a much more realistic option than stopping music downloading one person at a time.
Lastly, the damages per copy right file can range from $750-$30,000, an enormous amount if you ask me. These values have kept many infringers with less financial means, or less knowledge of the law, out of court and paying settlements to the RIAA.

Read up on the RIAA's actions at their website
Read my article about the issue on The Spectator's website
Read another article in The Seattle Post Intelligencer

Leave a comment and let me know what you think!

No comments: