Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Tysen, Quiet Drive, Bleeding Alarm

Tonight I went to the Showbox to see a friend's band Tysen, and was treated to some other musical acts as well. I arrived late but saw most of Bleeding Alarm's set. Musically they were pretty good, melodic, almost hardcore. I enjoyed their guitar sound and the lead vocals, but I wish the bassist and guitarists would have moved around more. Still I would be interested in seeing them again.
Next was Tysen. I have seen them a few times and their know lead singer from another band I worked with called Roundabout. I have always enjoyed his vocals and performance style- the way he commands the attention of a room without trying too hard and can go from singing to screaming fluidly. The second half of their set featured some of their harder songs, such as "Another Mistake" and the band really got into their music, moving around more individually and as a unit. They were far more energetic on that song than any other track. Just before they closed their set they thanked Jesus, suggested that kids live a life free from the tangles of alcohol drugs and told them that life was worth living. I could see the security team role their eyes and give the band the middle finger. I have to say that while I think bands have a right to voice their opinions and beliefs. Certainly kids paid for music and not preaching but Tysen certainly wasn't droning on and on. Also, it is their set, and their time in stage in my opinion. As long as they are not being offensive or hateful I think bands should be allowed to voice their ideas.

OK sorry for the tangent. Now for my discovery of the night, Quietdrive. I had heard of this band but never actually heard them. Upon hearing the first song I wasn't quite turned on. Their onstage persona was super flamboyant and it seemed like they were trying to hard, but I kept listening. Their second song was a little more appealing, and then the played a new song they claimed to have written a few days ago, "Hollywood." This one blew me away. Just looking at the song's structure it was awesome. Great hooks and I could imagine kids rocking out to it on the radio. Later the lead singer brought out an acoustic guitar for a sweet and deeply melodic "song for the lovers" title "Rush together". Later still he brought out a violin, but this was no yellow card flashback. The guy played beautifully and flowed gorgeously with the guitar. It was not like a random instrument thrown in for effect, but an major piece of that song. I appreciated the three guitars, which game the band a full and layered sound without being too extreme. I also grew more comfortable with their onstage performance. Although the lead single is a little outlandish, at least he is absorbed with the music, and the band is fun to watch. Can't wait for them to record Hollywood!

Give them a listen, but if you want the full experience, see them live! Are they coming to your town? Find out!

For Quietdrive: visit their web site

For Tysen: their MySpace profile or web site

For Bleeding Alarm: their web site

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey i am a huge bleeding alarm fan they are from kelowna which is like 40mins away from where i live and i have been trying to get there album but have had no luck if you have any music that i could upload from you or if you know where i could get there album that would be great
email me at (anti__emo@hotmail.com)